joecasting

Friday, August 18, 2006

Snakes On A Plane

I just saw Snakes On A Plane, and I am very pleased with it. It's not a 'good' movie, but it's really fun. What I think of the movie is not the point of this post though.

What the most interesting thing about the movie is all of the hype surrounding it, and much of it wasn't even done by New Line. Even more interesting is that New Line took some of the marketing in the direction of pseudo underground type stuff. Like the cafe press thing where people can make and sell their own snakes on a plane shirts (and magnets and whatever else).

What really started it all was people getting excited about a movie titled in such a matter of fact way. All of the fan made posters and trailers being made and then being passed around so much, it became more of a large community type thing (which was really only made possible because of sites like youtube). What I really appreciate is that so many people got excited and made stuff (whatever it is, however good or bad). Right now I don't know what I'm really trying to get at...

I guess it's just the appreciation that a bunch of people who never saw any of the movie, and had nothing to do with it's creation were able to influence it (the marketing, and some of it was reshot to make it an R rated movie - it was going to be PG-13).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home